Well, there are some methods that anyone can use to design shirts with a Cricut machine. Here is a quick guide about each method
?After this, you can read a detailed explanation of the most common and easiest way How to Use a Cricut to Make Shirts
?The Three Methods How to Use a Cricut to Make Shirts
Method No.1. Use of Heat Transfer Vinyl (HTV)
- Create the design for your shirt in Cricut Design Space then cut it out with the Cricut machine.
- Use a weed tool to weed away the excess vinyl but the design should remain on the sheet.
- To remove wrinkles and moisture preheat your shirt in a heat press machine you can also use an iron.
- Now place your vinyl design centered and straight onto the shirt.
- Set the recommended time and temperature in the heat press machine to 305-320 Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 seconds to transfer the design onto the shirt
- It’s time to take the shirt out of the heat press machine.
- Discard the backing sheet to reveal your completed design.
Method No.2. Use of Printable HTV
- Create the design using Cricut Design Space software then print it onto printable HTV transfer paper.
- Cut out the design using the Cricut machine.
- Eliminate the excess transfer paper from your design
- Preheat your shirt to remove any moisture and wrinkles.
- Place the design onto your shirt correctly.
- Use a heat press to transfer the design onto the shirt, following the recommended time and temperature settings which is most likely 350-380 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 seconds for your printable HTV material.
- Remove the transfer paper to reveal the completed design.
Method No.3. Use of Sublimation:
This method is called sublimation Cricut and you will follow these steps to make a vibrant design on your shirt.
- Create your design in Cricut Design Space.
- Print this design in a sublimation printer onto the sublimation paper.
- Cut the design with the Cricut machine.
- Before printing the design preheat your shirt to remove the wrinkles and moisture.
- Place the sublimation transfer ensuring the center of the shirt onto your shirt,
- Use a heat press to transfer the design onto the shirt, following the recommended time and temperature settings for your specific sublimation material is 350°F to 400°F for 60 to 80 seconds
- Peel off the transfer paper and you can see a perfect design.
Make sure that each method requires different tools other than the Cricut machine. So, just keep up with the instructions to make your printing projects successful.
Detailed Step-By-Step Guide
- Get the essential equipment ready.
- Prepare design with Cricut Desing Space.
- Cut the Desing with weed tools.
- Prepare the Cricut EasyPress for heat press.
- Align the shirt with the heat press, and let the temperature go 350 degrees.
- Wait for 30 seconds and bring the shirt out.
To clearly understand these quick steps below I’ve discussed in detail everything you need to know about making shirts with a Cricut. So, let’s get down to the step-by-step tutorial.
How to Use a Cricut to Make Shirts?
Being a beginner, I know it’s a bit tricky to get all the steps in your mind. But still, I tried my best to explain to you and used the easiest methods from start to end.
By following this method, in the end, you’ll be able to design a shirt using the Cricut Desing Space tool, you’ll be able to cut iron-on vinyl, you can weed the design, and at last, you will know how to apply the process.
Material Required to Start The Process
- Cricut Machine
- Cricut EasyPress Mat (recommended). But you can use any surface that keeps your workspace clean.
- Heat press or Cricut EasyPress (recommended).
- Iron-on Vinyle
- Weed tool (For cutting the design)
- One T-shirt (cotton is best).
Please make sure you wash your shirt before applying the vinyl. Because this will make sure your shirt doesn’t shrink and the vinyl remains permanent.
Complete Method To Use a Cricut to Make Shirts
Step 1: Place Iron-on Vinyl in the Cricut Machine
The first step is only to place the Iron-on Vinyl (shining/upside down) in the Cricut machine.
Step 2: Make a Design
- Open the Cricut Design Space and click on “New Project”.
- The workspace page will open. If you want to write text on the shirt, click on the Text option. If you want to design the image click on Images.
- Meanwhile, here you can also check out the pre-made templates for your design.
- All these options are available on the left side column.
- You can make any kind of design by watching the Youtube video.
- Once, you’ve made your design, click on “Make it”. You can see this option in the upper right corner (a green color button).
- Using the Iron-on Vinyl, you need to select the “Mirror” option on the cut screen. This will paste your design in the right position on the shirt.
- The computer will allow you to select your connected Cricut machine. The Cricut Design Space software will automatically send your art to the Cricut machine.
Step 3: Bring out the Design, and Cut it
Place your Iron-on Vinyl design sheet on the clean table. Place your Mat below and get your weeding tools.
Take the Fine-point blade and cut out the design. Make sure you do this gently and cut the design accurately.
Then, weed out the design and bring out the final design. Remove all extra parts of vinyl from the design. Use small tools like tweezers for critical roles.
Step 4: Prepare the Cricut EasyPress or Household Iron
Here are the steps to follow:
- Clean the surface, and put your EasyPress mat on.
- Make sure the surface is heat-resistive because now you’re gonna apply sufficient heat pressure.
- Now turn on the heat press and let the temperature go up to 300°F
- Now press the shirt’s front side, make it smooth, and remove any wrinkles.
Step 5: Apply Iron-on Vinyl to the Shirt
This is the most crucial part of this process. If you don’t do it carefully, you may end up disappointed.
So here are the steps:
- Place the vinyl design in the center of the shirt. Or where you want to place your design.
- Keep the shirt surface flat.
- Keep the shiny side up.
- Press the heat press, and read the temperature.
- Let the temperature go up to 350°F and hold it for 30 seconds.
- Now your design is stuck on the shirt, but to make it more sturdy, flip the shirt, and apply the heat on the backside for 30 seconds. k
- Remove the heat press, and let the shirt cool. Don’t touch the design surface for at least 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove the plastic liner from the shirt.
- Your shirt is ready to wear.
Bottom Line: By following this method, you can use a Cricut to make shirts. By crafting the shirts correctly, you can paste any design on them. Make sure you keep the safety precautions in mind. Use the heat press with care, and work with weed tools gently.
How Much Does It Cost to Make a Shirt With Cricut?
Making a shirt with Cricut is required multiple pieces of equipment. The most costly is the Cricut Machine itself. If you’ve got the Cricut machine, here is the list of other items’ costs.
Cricut Machine Cost
The prices may vary according to the features of the machine. But the prices range is from $100-$300 on average. Though some may cost more, to make a shirt an average-priced Cricut machine is good enough.
Cricut EasyPress Cost
The average cost of Cricut EasyPress is $100.
Cricut EasyPress mat Price
The average price for this item is $15.
Cricut Weed Tools Cost
You can buy Cricut weed tools from any store. They may cost you around $10.
Iron On Vinyl Cost
You can get this product for just $4 from Amazon or Cricut’s Official Store.
One Cotton Shirt
A good quality cotton shirt may cost you around $5-$10.
So What Does it Exactly Cost to Make a Shirt With Cricut?
On an average experience, if you ever thought to make a shirt with Cricut, that means you’ve got a Cricut machine and some kind of Heat press machine. That means I shouldn’t add this cost.
Meanwhile, to save you more, you can replace your home scissor with a weed tool. Maximum Saving!
You can place your soft home towel or use the table surface for pressing and cutting the design. Again saving.
In a nutshell, you only need to buy the Iron-On Vinyl and a fresh flat T-shirt. That means to make a shirt with Cricut you only need to spend around $10 every time. The rest of the equipment can be reused.